Originally posted on March 29th, 2020
This is a somewhat lengthy video which is very popular. This is an NYC doctor making a video for his family. He says a lot of the same things you’ve been hearing, but with a few twists.
First, while you can get infection from the air, as suggested by scientific journals, but only by sustained contact with a sick person. He thinks it’s fine to go shopping or go for a walk, if you follow the following rules:
- Wash your hands if you touch things. Touching your face with dirty hands is the main route of infection.
- Don’t touch your face with dirty hands!
- If you go out, where a mask, any mask. Most masks don’t do a very good job of protecting you from airborne virus, what they do is remind you not to touch your face! So any mask will do for this.
- Stay at least 6 ft from people.
- Have a small social circle, don’t be in large groups
- If you’re sick, isolate yourself from your family. Follow the above rules when interacting with your family.
He also says anyone older than 14 can get sick! Yes, older people are most affected, but plenty of people in their 20s and 30s are getting sick.
He also says that while asymptomatic people are spreading disease, those that do will probably themselves be sick 1-2 days later.
All of this is one guys experience, but I think it’s valuable.
Stay safe! Our efforts to protect each other are working!